DevSecOps is a process of integrating and streamlining security practices earlier within the DevOps process. This can be achieved by replacing the traditional process of working in silos with that of increased communication and shared the responsibility for security processes during various phases of application/software development lifecycle. It helps identify security issues early in the development process rather than after a product is released.
Adopting DevSecOps process will have the following benefits:
- Reduced Cost
- Speedy Recovery
- Speedy Delivery
- Threat Hunting
The human factor is the starting point for any DevSecOps process. Integrating information security into agile development makes a fully secure workstream in any organization. DevSecOps approach can be achieved using the following best practices:
- Code Analysis - deliver code in smaller chunks to quickly identify vulnerabilities.
- Change Management - increase speed and efficiency by allowing anyone to submit changes, then determine whether the change is good or bad.
- Compliance Monitoring - maintain a constant state of compliance, including gathering evidence of GDPR compliance, PCI compliance, etc.
- Threat Investigation - identify potential emerging threats with each code update and be able to respond quickly.
- Vulnerability Assessment - identify new vulnerabilities with code analysis and get them patched.
- Security Training - train software and IT engineers with guidelines for set routines.
DevSecOps shifts the focus of security from being reactive to proactive. This practice has been growing with an increase in the number of organizations implementing DevSecOps as a solution to their security issues. DevSecOps practice will facilitate to detect and fix security issues earlier in the development process thus reducing greatly the cost associated with identifying and fixing them.
Authored By - Manvi Sharma
TCS Cyber Security Practice