In today’s world, Compliance is one of the most important aspects of a successful enterprise. Adherence to the company’s policies, government regulations, industrial laws, land use laws, environmental compliance, etc. are some of the foremost motives of every company. With so many regulations and policies to comply with, it becomes important to protect your systems from data loss and reputational changes. Avecto Defendpoint is a proactive endpoint security tool, which helps in removing admin rights to have the least privilege that helps in maintaining compliance. Unauthorized or elevated privileges provide access to the users to make changes in the system which may not be compliant with the system’s policies and pose potential risks.
Elevated privileges can also provide users access to inadvertently download files which may contain malware or upload data into the public that may result in a data breach. Avecto Defendpoint uses privilege management that allows the users to only run trusted applications and download from trusted sites only.
Avecto Defendpoint is a combination of three techniques:
1. Privilege Management
2. Application Control
- Privilege Management: Avecto applies privileges over applications rather than users. It removes the need to grant admin rights to the user and instead relies on providing privileges when needed over a specific application. It restricts unauthorized changes to the operating system that improves the overall security of the system. Users are provided with privileges that comply with their business needs and do not affect their operational work.
- Application Control: Avecto assures that removing admin rights does not interfere with the business needs of the users. So, Avecto uses the technique of whitelisting that allows the user to request exclusion of specific applications that are required as part of business requirements and allows to install without any security compromise.
- Sandboxing: Finally, the technique of sandboxing is used as a defense against malware. Sandboxing allows users to access the internet freely without worrying about their data. Even if a user visits an infected site or a document, any associated malware is restricted to a sandbox environment that is isolated from the user’s data. It acts as a security net for the end users.
Paul Kenyon, Executive Vice President at Avecto said:
“It’s common knowledge that the internet is fundamental to today’s workforce, but given the current landscape, security professionals cannot simply rely on reactive defenses like antivirus, proactivity is absolutely essential.”
With Avecto Defendpoint making use of these three technologies, it is able to provide an effective endpoint security tool to users without compromising on their freedom to use business applications they need and access the internet freely.
Essentials of Endpoint Security Management
Endpoint Security management can be difficult to implement. Finding the best tool to implement that meets all the business requirements can be quite challenging. Below are few essentials needed for an effective endpoint security management:
• Endpoint security tool should be able to detect and block any unknown threats.
• Endpoint security tool should not affect the user’s work. Some of the tools put so many restrictions that they start affecting productivity.
• A tool that can provide prevention along with detection, it provides efficient security to the networks within the organizations. It eliminates the need for any additional plugins to prevent the network from threats.
• The tool should be able to provide security for all business applications that are used. Some applications might have vulnerabilities that are not covered thus the tool might not be able to provide effective overall security.
Endpoint Security tools
Some of the major endpoint security platforms and tools available in the market are:
• Carbon Black
• Check Point
• Code 42
Authored by Anika , Cyber Security , TCS